The hike starts at the Bettmeralp cable-car mountain station. It takes about half an hour to reach the summit of the Bettmerhorn (2,647m) via a fixed rope route. From there you follow the partly exposed but well-secured ridge trail for about 1.5km, until you reach the steep descent down to Elselicka. Cable handrails are provided for your safety. The path along the ridge is designated an Alpine Route, meaning that it is suitable only for sure-footed hikers with no fear of heights! Keep to the white/blue marked path on this section! From Elselicka, the route follows a well-maintained hiking trail up to the mountain station of the Eggishorn cable car (2,869m), the end of the UNESCO high-altitude trail.
- 3,04 km
- 3 hours
- 373 m
- 149 m
- start: Bettmerhorn, top station of aerial cable car
- destination: Eggishorn, top station of aerial cable
Good to know
Bettmerhorn, top station of aerial cable car – summit Bettmerhorn – Elselicka - Eggishorn, top station of aerial cable
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of the route you plan to take. Whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Get yourself the Aletsch Explorer! The combined cableway and train ticket gives you unlimited travel in the Aletsch Arena!
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
Large pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Betten valley station. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher
Bettmerhorn, top station of aerial cable car
Eggishorn, top station of aerial cable