The starting point of this tour is Bettmeralp cable car mountain station. Take the underpass and follow the road along the Alpmatten district as far as Ried. Then turn off onto the hiking trail that leads towards the valley. The path leads past the small hamlets of Domo, Breite and Egga to Betten Dorf, which you cross in a westerly direction, passing the church along your way. Take the path below the middle station of the Betten Dorf cable car and continue downhill to Mörel-Filet past the shooting range and Breiten. You’ll have to cross the road at several points during this section of the hike. Once you arrive in the valley, you have two options: you can take the train to Betten valley station and the cable car up to Bettmeralp, Alternatively, you can take the cable car to Riederalp and walk to Bettmeralp via the Aletsch Promenade.
- 8,32 km
- 2 hours 45 minutes
- 1924 m
- 760 m
- start: Bettmeralp, top station of aerial cable car
- destination: Mörel-Filet, railway station
Good to know
Bettmeralp – Ried – Domo – Betten Dorf – Breiten – Mörel-Filet
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Betten village is an idyllic Valais village with beautiful old Valais houses. A tour of the village is a must while you’re there!
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
Large pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Betten valley station. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher
Bettmeralp, top station of aerial cable car
Mörel-Filet, railway station