There are 36 metres in altitude difference to cover on the connecting road between Blatten mountain station at 2,094 metres in altitude and Aletschbord at 2,130 metres in altitude. Which means you won’t exactly find yourself out of breath on this winter hike – or at least, not because of the climb. But the view of the Great Aletsch Glacier – the longest in the Alps at 20km and part of the UNESCO Jungfrau Aletsch World Heritage Site – just might take your breath away. Coupled with the striking view of Valais’s four-thousand-meter peaks, it makes an unforgettable impression. The panoramic terrace of Hotel Belalp offers another unique view, as well as some wonderful cuisine. The hotel opened for business during the Belle Époque in 1858 and was renovated in 2015 in keeping with the original style. In its early days it primarily welcomed guests from England, as well as the Irish alpinist and scientist John Tyndall, who spent an amazing 44 summers there.
- 2,83 km
- 50 minutes
- 2133 m
- 2082 m
- start: Belalp Station amont
- destination: Aletschbord Belalp
Good to know
The winter hike starts at Belalp mountain station. From there, walk for roughly 30 minutes on the connecting road between the station and Hotel Belalp to Bruchegg and on to Aletschbord. Watch out for skiers coming in the opposite direction on this section of the route. The return journey follows the same route.
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leave any waste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger, especially the danger of avalanches.
Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water, picnic
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)
Although this is a short route, take the time to enjoy the exceptional view of the imposing Aletsch Glacier on Aletschbord and replenish your energy levels at Hotel Belalp.
Motorway A9 direction Brig. Continue direction Naters until Blatten.
Short-stay car park
For durations of less than one day, the best option is the short-stay car park (fee payable).
Indoor / outdoor car parks
Guests who stay for longer than 2 days in Blatten-Belalp can park in the outdoor or indoor car parks. Payment can be made at the ticket machines or at the information and ticket counters in Blatten.
The car parks cost CHF 12.00 a day in winter and CHF 9.00 in summer.
Guests who have paid the tourist tax or who are members of Pro Blatten enjoy a discount of 15%.
Rischinu car park
During the winter season, the car park in Rischinu may be used free of charge. A regular shuttle bus carries guests to the base station of the cable car and gondola in comfort.
Accessible by train and bus. From Brig station, take the PostBus to Blatten (Belalp).
The tourist office in Blatten has got brochures and information material about hiking in the region.
SwissTopo Maps 1:50'000: 264S Jungfrau
More information about the destination:
Belalp Station amont